Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Selfish Gene

Response to Richard Dawkin's Video





.

....Up to what I've read in this book, I don't understand why Dawkins could have called the book "The Altruistic Animal." I mean, Altruistic Gene would make sense, but just because you have a selfish gene doesn't mean you will automatically be altruistic. You need both genes in order to be one or the other. If you only have the selfish gene and not the altruistic one, then you can only be selfish. Or does it mean that the selfish gene contains both selfish and altruistic characteristics? I really don't understand these whole area. However, I completely agree when he states that his book is just another approach to the Darwinian theory. In my opinion, it's the same theory just looked at it from a gene's point of view, as well as from evolution. In the book, Dawkins is looking at humans, humans aren't the ones looking at evolution.

No comments: